Thursday, November 01, 2007

Remembering Margaret

I've spent much of this past week delving into family history. Mostly due to the passing of grandma and having some time off work. I'm more and more convinced that grandma was an amazing woman (grandmother was too by the way).

She had a master's degree in French. She also had one in Social Work. She held many jobs in high office in the Social Work field in the area of Child Welfare. She and grandpa were part of the 1976 Episcopal General Convention that accepted the Revised Book of Common Prayer. Growing up she would have rather played with her pet hen than her dolls. And she loved the experience of freedom in the spring when she was released from long winter underwear.

I only really knew her from the time of her retirement on, so my picture of her was that of a stay at home wife who baked and sewed and did the housekeeping. I was shocked to see that she worked for many years and even helped her family during the depression when her wages went from $100/wk down to $80.

I believe that she left us in the same way she lived these past few years, not wanting to be a bother or burden on anyone. She was an amazing woman who I wish I could have known more about, talked to more, listened to more and just appreciated what she had to offer a bit more.

We'll miss you grandma

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too wished I could of know better. Glad to learn a little more about her. Glad you are into family history. Love to all, Helen